Friday, February 6, 2009

There is no such thing as Super Mom

As we started to adjust to a schedule, many things became very obvious. The level of exhaustion that you are subject to is not something anyone is ever ready for. It’s the same for all parents, but seemed even more apparent when you are doing it solo. And in my glorious naïveté, I was determined to break the mold of the single parent stereotype. I was going to be Super Mom. But, again as our God has a sense of humor, I remember one of the first evenings that I was put to the test

My son of possibly five weeks was have a particularly fussy night. He wasn’t hungry, he wasn’t wet, but he was DEFINITELY NOT HAPPY. So, I rocked and walked and bounced and rocked and walked….you get the picture. It’s amazing how you will try and try again the same thing and just pray it will work this time. And when you succumb to the tears, because you have nothing else, you want the one thing that every child wants no matter how old…..

You want your Mommy……..

Yes, I’m not ashamed to admit that at 9:00 at night I called my mother in tears because I had nothing else. And as any loving mother would do, she bundled herself up, started and warmed up her car (remember this is Minnesota and winter as well.) and drive the 12 miles from her house to my rescue. She found me on the sofa with my infant laying across my lap with his tummy on my knee cap and my hand supporting his head, bouncing him. My legs felt like jelly, but as long as I kept up the bouncing, he was not screaming. He wasn’t happy, but he wasn’t screaming. My mother took him we started again with everything I had tried. Lo and behold , he simultaneously let out a huge belch and soiled his diaper in the most foul way. He then promptly collapsed into an exhausted sleep and I didn’t hear a peep out of him all night.

I learned several important lessons last night.
1) There is no such thing as Supermom
2) Relax….
3) No matter how old you are, everyone needs their Mommy
4) Moms may know everything, but sometime only Grandma can fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment